I don't want to step on toes, this is my 3rd post after all. I am not a fan of mp3. Mp3 does not represent fidelity to me. 320k... is still a long way from Cd (FLAC) quality--it's still lossy compression. FLAC compresses Cd audio by about 50%, yet is lossless. That means you sacrifice space for much better fidelity. I can plug my ipod into headphones, or a stereo, and I get cd quality. Don't get angry, mp3's are fine for casual listening or convenience, but not---fidelity.

What you need:
1. Rockbox: this is freeware that turns your hard-drive equipped mp3 player into a FLAC only player. It overwrites the apple menus and gives you new ones.

2. Exact audio copy (freeware/recommended) or winamp pro ($19.95). These programs rip cd's to FLAC format. I recommend EAC, it is superior, and FREE.

3. No more itunes needed. You plug in your ipod, and it appears like any removable media. Drag and drop FLAC folders and have at it.

I use a PC/netbook and Ipod as FLAC servers. In addition to CD quality, I have eliminated all the moving parts a CD player has (especially with a solid state netbook like mac air). I can EQ in software, which is a much better idea than EQ'ing after the fact in the analog domain.

The FLAC site lists the compatible Mp3 players. Once you hear the quality, you will want to ditch compressed, lossy mp3's forever. It also made me ditch cd players as well.