In this hobby, It's a matter of what makes you happy.
B&W 804s are very fine speakers. The fact that they're full range doesn't diminish their ability to play classical and jazz music very well, and with the wealth of great Multi-channel classical and jazz SACDs available, you may find that your using the multi-channel rig a lot for pure music listening. To improve on the 804s, you'll need to be prepared to spend a good chunk of change on a pair of monitors, but there are many out there that would fill the bill.
Yes ,you'll have to power them with something, so a pair of monoblocks would be in order. As the 990 has both balanced and unbalanced outputs, feeding the additional amps wouldn't be a problem. You could set the second 12v trigger to turn one amp, or set of amps, on or off dependong on the input being used, but so far as I know, the second amp, or set of amps, would have to be turned on or off manually.
A lot of folks have seperate hometheater and 2 channel listening areas. I dont think I've ever seen multi-channel and seperate 2 channel set-up in the same system, but I can't hink of any reason why it shouldn't work well.
Pioneer Elite DV-47A
Magnavox HDMR513h DVR/DVD-R
Sony DVD megachangers-2
Sony CD megachangers-2
Monster power centers-2
Sony 48" rear projection SDTV
Roku video player
JVC AL-A158 Turntable
Polk RT-2000s,CS-650,XS-650s,RT80s
LFM-1EX
Hsu VTF-1
12" Velodyne