Originally Posted By: Auda
More on "outboard" a/v switches, and related to the virtual inputs:

I'd also like the feature to rename each audio/video input. Ideally, this would also extend to naming & control over external a/v switches. Perhaps this leads back to a horrible proprietary command system. BUT, if the receiver could control the external switch and integrate it with one UI, that would be nice.

I agree that the ability to edit the inputs' names is a great feature that should be included. Much like a good universal remote, this is something that seems minor but can be a huge plus in the eyes of a spouse or family member. From the moment I first had this feature (with the Model 990), I became a huge fan of it.

Originally Posted By: Auda
For example, I could have two virtual inputs labeled "snes" and "gamecube" -- but they would both map to the same physical input (connected to the external a/v switch). The receiver could then automatically command the external switch to the right input for that device.

Perhaps this sort of functionality is better suited for a harmony-like remote.

Extending the input naming out to specific inputs on a switch would be more difficult. Feasible, certainly, but at a price. Basically, you would need to have a switch built specifically to interface with the processor (probably using RS232) as well as enough inputs established in the processor's interface (both the unit's setup menus and the discrete remote codes) to cover all of the switch's inputs in addition to the processor's direct inputs. It'd be more practical than the idea of ten composite/analog stereo inputs, but it would also be something that sees limited use in the market.

The remote control is the most effective alternative, as you've noted. Configure a single input on the processor as the point of connection with a switch, label it "old games" or something similar, and create separate devices on the universal remote for "SNES" and "GameCube" and "Dreamcast" - each of which select both the "old games" input on the processor and the appropriate input on the switch. You don't get the convenience of having the processor's front panel say exactly which console is active, but the remote at least does say that.