what use to be on entry level gear is no longer there...

on the lower end gear you will not likely aux outputs for zone 2/3

basically looking in comparison with the umc-1 and the onkyo 608, basically the same kit with minor difference 1 has an amp where the other don't..

though both have similar layouts in regards to component inputs with another minor difference no outputs for pre-amps on the 608..

the irony with the low end avr's most are billed a secondary avr's meant to be connected as a aux unit to a primary avr as an example onkyo 707-708 as primary with a 608 feeding a second room....

I would hope to see something released to compete with the avp, I would hate to see a repeat of the UMC-1 which should targeted high user instead of the low end user market..

don't get me wrong I think there is a market for low input/output pre-amps as long as it is a working platform with no to minor issues though saying that if a Co is going to go to that extreme you may aswell build an avr and be done with it.. because they failed at separate pre-pro design, from the pre-amp POV..

If you wanna run with the big boy think big in the way of inputs as for a certain amount of a purchase price you are buying the portability and support legacy inputs and outputs (within reason) in a pre-amp system and there shouldn't be a need to have to run multiple av switches to support legacy components..

now how the new software act's with the old gear that's a different can of worms, it would be nice if the new software would complement instead conflict with the older hardwares software, the problem happens when they don't think about backwards compatibility within newer codecs..

it would be nice having the newer codecs processing the older codec improving the basis of synergy between the 2

Edited by redman6 (05/05/10 08:43 AM)

lounge

68cm sharp tv

joytech xbox 360 network av switch

xbox
xbox 360
ps2
ps3
n64
snes
cable box
vcr
joytech av switch
onkyo dv-cp 704
sony 5-disc dvd player
jvc s42-sl
lengend dvd player
yamaha tss-15 fibre linked for 5.1

pc with a yamaha tss-10 fibre linked for 5.1..

bed room
sony 32" dtv
sony dvp 390 brd
sharp dv-790