Originally Posted By: redman6
when comparing the lmc-1 to its predecessor I think you go from high end to entry level going from 1 model to the next..

Most peoples opinions of lmc-1 are this, great concept, poor implementation, still bug fixing to this day and its look looks more like a entry level avr than a pre-amp..
emo has gone from 1 extreme to the other when you start to compare the lmc-1 to its predecessor..

As it happens, I am very familiar with the LMC-1. It was an entry-level unit, as is the new UMC-1. Yes, the LMC-1 was very possibly based on an existing AVR design (the initial development cycle was very short enough to suggest as much), but details are hard to come by. Yes, the LMC-1 was very buggy. It was abandoned (discontinued) without many of those bugs being resolved. The UMC-1 will hopefully fare better - the latest beta firmware suggests that they are making good progress at last.

The LMC-1 doesn't have an Emotiva predecessor. There was the DMC-1 prior to the LMC-1, which was a Sunfire processor with a new faceplate. I don't consider the DMC-1 to be the LMC-1's predecessor, however, because it was a higher-tier product that was available concurrently with the LMC-1. Trust me, the LMC-1 and UMC-1 are comparable. As proof, look through the history of the UMC-1 and you'll find that it was originally called the LMC-2.

Originally Posted By: redman6
when buying a pre-amp you are buying into the whole option of using existing tech with the unit, now how far you go is entirely up to you, though personally if you're only going to cater for the the new gear you may aswell be building a entry level avr in the guise of a pre-amp.. as all you will end up with is something that resembles the lmc-1 in form and half function..

Of course we have to buy existing tech. When buying a pre-amp, I buy a unit with the features I need and the performance I desire. I don't expect a processor to have all the latest bells and whistles, because receivers are generally at the leading edge in that regard. If I need features that are still at that bleeding edge, I have to decide whether to get a receiver and use its preamp outputs or wait until a processor arrives with those features.