If we can replace the "RI" control ports (not RIHD) with a mix of IR connections (input and output) and 12V triggers, I think we are in agreement on the kinds of inputs and outputs that the Model 998 should have. I think the only point where we disagree is on quantity of inputs, quantity of outputs, and whether the second zone is stereo or multichannel.

Quote:
when you start to compare different models within the onkyo and denon lines (as example)you see the failures when something new comes along the 1st thing to get the chop is usually the amp section, with a pre-amp this is ne-gated by amp you associate with it and which ever speaker combo you decide to run with..

So your complaint about processor designs always being compromised is actually the tendency for receiver designs to compromise amplifier design to allow incorporation of new features and hit a desired price point? I agree with the sentiment in many cases, but I don't think it makes much sense to complain about processor designs based on that. It also isn't a universal truth for receivers.

Quote:
the option of the 10-14 12v outs was the option to use monoblocks to power the speakers to start with..

the option to pass through 3-4 isn't a preference i like, the option of 10-14 gives me the option of running 2-4 multi channel amps or the option of of running 7.1-11.3 in a monoblock setup, I prefer each amp have their own 12v trigger. i never liked the daisey-chain principle..

First, your 7.1 to 11.3 setup is going to have seven to 11 monoblock amps. The other channels are powered subs. Why have 14 triggers when that is three to seven more triggers than you have trigger-equipped monoblocks?

Second, if you look at Outlaw's monoblocks, they each have a trigger in and a trigger out. That is done because it is impractical to cram all those triggers onto the rear panel. Daisy-chaining is a valid solution for triggering a gaggle of monoblocks (or is it a flock?).

Third, Outlaw recognized that triggering on a whole surround system worth of monoblocks is a challenge. That's why their monoblocks all have a signal-sensing mode that removes the need for any trigger at all. Designing a feature that addresses the problem for the users who actually have the problem (monoblock owners) seems like a more graceful solution than throwing extra connections onto a product that is more often owned by multichannel amp owners than monoblock owners. Then you have a trigger or two, which can be used by multichannel amp owners and by people who want a trigger to control other devices (like motorized projection screens).

Quote:
the option should be there if you choose to run with it, each person to their own flavour for connecting amps..

See my second and third points above. If you design a product that has every option that ever user might need, you'll never get the product to market. You'll spend years just trying to finalize the feature list, then you'll have a product so expensive to design and build that the project will collapse under its own weight.