Quote:
a 3 output hdmi option allows me to extend to a secondary receiver for an outdoor entertainment area..

I question the value of three HDMI outputs for the reasons I've already described. HDMI isn't like the old analog video sources, and it doesn't split easily. If you have multi-zone HDMI, you are duplicating some very expensive components by doing so and most users won't use the duplicate pieces. There are more graceful options.

Quote:
given most processor/pre-amps are usually no bigger in size to avr counterparts, I would like someone to design something for practical use not something that uses shared resources way to much.. which uses the either/or principle..

The problem we have is defining what "practical use" is for the majority of the customer base. I've operated a pretty complex home theater setup for quite a few years now (including a total of four or five disc players at one point), and aside from a year or so with an outboard HDMI switch I've never used any separate source switching. The people I know who have home theaters frequently operate with noticeably fewer sources than I have. For them, having ten video inputs is massive overkill. Having thirty is just silly...

Quote:
I want to see a processor/pre-amp have a greater shelf life than the 2-3 year until the great hype comes out.

What defines the end of its shelf life? The production life? The only way to keep a product in production for more than three years is to either upgrade it to the point where it becomes a new product (think Lexicon MC-12) or convince the entire industry to quite changing standards (think five versions of HDMI in seven years). Or is it the useful life? There are folks with Model 950's still happily chugging along, and the first 950's shipped about eight years ago. There are Model 990 owners still happy five years after it arrived on the market.

Quote:
for inbuilt network something similar to a cisco module could be used..

I think making the pre-amp/processor more modular in design makes for a better outcome for the end user.

I question the value of integrating a network switch into a processor because it gets away from the point of separates, but others certainly feel differently. As for modular designs, it has been tried quite a few times - never with great success. In each case, the company has struggled to develop new daughter boards and support new technology, and customers have ended up with a product that can't grow and change but that cost them 50% more than a comparable product because of the extra engineering and production costs involved. No thanks.

Quote:
actually go back to the design board, redesign the chassis to improve air flow, when everyone keeps using the same old ref design from existing models nothing will ever improve the use of it, always cramming shit into the smallest chassis possible isn't the way to go..

Surround processors generally don't have problems with airflow and heat rejection, since all the major heat sources are the amp channels that are in a separate chassis. The Model 990 actually had a lot of free space under the hood and a pretty nicely laid-out rear panel.