Quote:
go and check the for s-video, the last i looked it supports 720x576 as a default resolution...

I am familiar with s-video. 576i is PAL, as I mentioned earlier. PAL is a video format used in Europe, basically the European version of standard definition. In the US, we use NTSC, which is approximately 720x480i. The 720 is the horizontal resolution, not the vertical resolution. It is not HD.

Quote:
the issue with the external av switch is the availability to support RIHD, so it can be switch when not in use and is very much a flawed option ad you need direct line of sight to use it, not sure about the commercial market though most ir av switches you buy in the domestic market, don;t support this feature, sadly I don't own svhs vhs player I only got a oldie which only supports composite..

most of the commercial based units I hazard a guess wouldn't support rihd either..

it's just not a simple of writing macos eit5her

i'm trying to reduce power consumption as much as possible..

RIHD wouldn't help avoid line of sight for control. As I said before, RIHD is not an industry standard, which is why you are correct that no AV switches will support it. Neither will the TV, cable or satellite box, or a lot of otherwise very good disc players. I don't have any devices that use it. There are superior options that are manufacturer agnostic. The remote I mentioned is one - it can do a lot of things that a device with RIHD can't (including RF control that means you don't need to worry about line-of-sight). You can see my review of it here. I was serious when I described macros as a truly seamless solution to your problem. It is more capable than RIHD would be. These switches will also work fine with your VCR (composite video and stereo analog are covered). And if you really want to turn the switches off when the system is off, use the trigger output to connect to a power conditioner with switched outlets and turn them off when the processor is off. Even when/if they're on, you're talking about AC adapters that draw a tiny load - on par with the charger on the cordless phone sitting on my desk.

Quote:
also note i'm already using multiple av switches, i'm trying to reduce power point use..

What sources do you have? I'm curious about the setup.

Quote:
anyway I was using console as an example anyway, I was trying to reduce the requirement for more points to cover the option of owning multiple network consoles

not mention the units that aren't networked..

Networked? Not sure what you mean by that.

Quote:
while scart may be european, we're all not based in the US or Canada..

I only comment on scart because it may support hdmi resolutions that's all..

SCART is only used in Europe, and even there it isn't heavily used for HD. We are on a forum for a manufacturer that has no distribution network in Europe. SCART shouldn't be included on the Model 998.

Quote:
yup I think nintendo went more for the retro gamer market on its release of the wii..
when i get 1 i'll let you know what connection it has..

I already listed the available options earlier. It comes with a cable that has composite and stereo analog. You can buy a cable with s-video and stereo analog or a cable with component video and stereo analog. I have one, and I'm using component video and stereo analog.