I do understand your problem when the goal is support for all of the consoles you mentioned:

• SNES: composite or s-video for video; stereo analog for audio.
  • Nintendo64: composite or s-video for video; stereo analog for audio. No component video, which isn't surprising since it simply didn't exist in the marketplace at that time.
  • GameCube: composite, s-video, or component video for video; stereo analog for audio.
  • Wii: composite, s-video, or component video for video; stereo analog for audio. The Wii has no digital outputs, so no HDMI.
  • XBox: composite, s-video, or component video for video; stereo analog for audio. The original XBox did not have DVI. It also didn't have a digital audio output.
  • XBox360: composite, s-video, or component video for video; stereo analog or optical digital for audio; and HDMI for audio/video on later models. It has never had DVI, either.
  • Dreamcast: composite or s-video for video, stereo analog for audio. I'm pretty sure it's a no go on component, though.
  • Playstation: composite or s-video for video, stereo analog for audio.
  • PS2: composite, s-video, or component video for video; stereo analog or optical for audio.
  • PS3: composite, s-video, or component video for video; stereo analog or optical for audio; and HDMI for audio/video.

Of all the consoles listed, the only ones with an optical output are the PS2, PS3, and XBox360. For everything else, you need a stereo analog connection for audio. There were also only two with HDMI output and six with component (last two generations for Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony).

That's a total of ten consoles right there. If you mix in any older stuff (Sega Genesis, Atari 2600, and so forth) you just add to the challenge, although by that point you're looking at RF demodulators that provide composite video and analog audio. Let's be realistic: no surround processor manufacturer is going to design a product with the express purpose of supporting direct connection to a decade and a half or two decades worth of video game consoles (most of which are long discontinued and rely on audio and video connections that are seeing less use by the day). It is simply impractical to develop such a product, even without considering the minuscule customer base that will actually make use of it.

All that being said, I will toss out a theoretical system based on a theoretical surround processor (we'll call it the Waltuo 899). This unit will have at least four HDMI inputs, three component inputs, and four composite video inputs. It will be used in conjunction with all ten of the consoles listed above, a standalone Blu-ray player, and a cable or satellite receiver. There will be a good universal remote (I'll use my URC MX-900 for this example). There will also be two of these switches, both with remote controls.

• HDMI1: Cable/satellite receiver
  • HDMI2: Blu-ray player (universal BD, DVD, DVD-A, SACD, and CD)
  • HDMI3: PS3
  • HDMI4: XBox360
  • Component1/Optical1: PS2
  • Component2/analog stereo: Switch1
    • Switch1 Input1: Wii (component/analog stereo)
    • Switch1 Input2: PS1 (component/analog stereo)
    • Switch1 Input3: XBox (component/analog stereo)
    • Switch1 Input4: GameCube (component/analog stereo)
  • Composite1/analog stereo: Switch2
    • Switch2 Input1: Dreamcast (composite/analog stereo)
    • Switch2 Input2: Nintendo64 (composite/analog stereo)
    • Switch2 Input3: SNES (composite/analog stereo)

Once all that's wired up, we write a series of macros for the universal remote. You have a dozen sources to choose from under the "WATCH" screen. When you pick one, the remote sends a command to select one of the seven inputs on the processor before switching to the screens that control that device. If you picked a source that connects to one of the two switches, the remote also sends a command to select the appropriate input on that switch in the same macro. The result is a system that seamlessly integrates two conventional sources and ten game consoles into the system - all with nothing more than some planning, a good universal remote, and two inexpensive switches. You could add an eleventh console easily, and you could even add another switch if you needed to (allowing you to go up to 15 consoles). If I worked at it, I could probably even do something close to this with a Model 990, although the conventional sources would get a bit crowded.

Quote:
I wasn't looking at spanning across hdmi for pj use, I was more thinking about doing a format set per pj..
in the case of lcd tv use, I was using 1 as a movie display whether if be connected via hdmi or via component
1 set for 2:40, 1 set for 16:9, the last set for tv....

the only time i would consider multi spanning across pj's is if i had the space to do an omni/imax type layout..

Hmmm... Separate displays for different aspect ratios is pretty complicated. I'd say it's needlessly complicated, in fact. First, the only two ways to get a 2.35:1 display are CIH projection (anamorphic lens, video processing to properly stretch the video source, and usually some good masking on the screen for the times when you roll back the lens to shoot 16:9 content) and one or two Philips 21:9 monitors that cost a fortune (if you can even find one). Once you've invested in one of those, you ought to use it. I'd say that if you do want this sort of setup, a single HDMI output to a good CIH setup (front projector and anamorphic lens) would be the most graceful solution. That would give you a great display for 1.78:1 through 2.35:1 movies, 1.78:1 HD television, and any big-screen gaming you want to do. You could then use a second HDMI output to a "daily use" flat panel (LCD or plasma), and the more common dual HDMI output solutions (with one output active at a time) would accommodate you just fine.