I have been in the market now for about 6 months and 3 things keep me from pulling the trigger on any purchase of a pre/pro

1.Paying for features that do not elevate sound quality
2.New "upgrades" in the content i.e. 3d, Blu Ray interactive etc
3.Sound quality

Number three is the biggest. I came down to Primare and Cary as most eligible candidates based on sound quality. That is for 2 channel or multi. Primare is a close second. The Cary is an audio only product and yes the users can't tweak it into another form, but for the essential function of making quality sound, it has few rivals. So here is a suggestion to Outlaw, or rather a couple of suggestions.

Start with the sound! Build a platform for best sound quality at a disruptive price point! Make all this other stuff about features modular! Or use the Cary concept of 2 boxes. If the sound excels, I mean high end quality, the price point can elevate slightly and still dominate the market. The NAD 175 should be the target. Make it sound better and at around the same of slightly less and you could not keep them in stock.

I make this point because I watched the BLU Ray version of Avatar over the weekend. It is 90% the experience in some fashions and exceeds in others. If you do not have a video display that is roughly the same proportions as an imax, a lot of the psycho visual and acoustic effect is lost. Sure 3d may be cool in theater but that gives us all a reason to get out of the house.

Sound Fellas! Focus on the sound! It a drug to some of us and if you keep delivering you will have addicts er customers for a long time.

System:

B&K Ref 200.5
Rogue Audio Metis (HT theater bypass for 2 channel)
Oppo 83se
quad 22l2
Quad Center
PSB Alpha Rears
Jolida 100a
Lynx Aes16 audio card and DIY music server
Benchmark Dac

I would love to eliminate the 2 channel, save some money, and add more content, but the sound from the 990 or any sub 2k pre/pro just doesn't make listening enjoyable.

humbly yours,