I have to agree with Gonk on this. To my mind media streaming is best handled off platform, where the focus can be on maintaining compatibility with existing formats and codecs. While it's not the most complicated issue in the world, why would or should Outlaw try to reinvent the wheel on this, especially when their market segment probably has a media streaming capability that can simply be added on through existing inputs?

As for the Linux issue, I have to ask what the perceived benefit of a Linux-driven system would be here? Most of the activities that a prepro needs to do well depend so much on their hardware (ie, good DACs, current HDMI controllers, analog circuits, etc), and it's not as if Linux would bring any added functionality to the table.

My first thought from a manufacturing perspective is the added hassle. Having a linux-based box would make the unit at risk to tweakers and hackers like any other linux system, and that means a ton more support calls and headaches dealing with users that tried to install a mod they read about. It also means your customers will be far more likely to expect you to add or update functionality for every little thing every time they don't like something, you know, "because it's all in linux, so it'll be easy."