Originally Posted By: wolverine
This actually brings it back to my original question. I realize that 1.4 internet and 3D content will not be able to be processed or decoded by a current generation preamp or receiver without at least a software update, or perhaps never. I was asking if a current preamp or receiver with HDMI 1.3 was set to pass through mode with no internal video processing, would it be able to transfer 1.4/3D content on to a monitor, the way the Outlaw 990 can successfully pass HDMI video content through HDMI/DVI and DVI/HDMI adapters. I would think that might be possible as long as HDMI remains pin-for-pin and wire-for-wire compatible.

The answer is yes on 1.3 repeaters (any receiver that processes HDMI signals is a repeater) transmitting 3D, whether or not it's set to passthrough. We know this because, according to the CE press, all BD-Live enabled BD players are upgradable to send 3D over 1.3. However, due to bandwidth limitations, not at 1080p - 3D over 1.3 will be limited to 2 1080i streams from BD and two 540i streams from cable boxes. (This is, of course, in theory, as anyone who's dealt with HDMI repeaters knows there are implementation problems galore.) See here for reference.

1.4 as a standard, though, will NOT pass through a 1.3 compliant repeater, and available info specifically mentions the Ethernet channel as the problem. Considering that the hardware is manufactured to the specifications of a particular HDMI version, I would not expect any of the other 1.4 features to be passable since there has been no mention of them.