Originally Posted By: lotus_j
Snip

1.4 just adds Ethernet abilities, and thus the request by one user in these threads for a network input isn't thinking it through. HDMI 1.4 is the network connection.

I don't think this is quite true:
The ethernet connection that will be provided via an 1.4 HDMI cable will be just to provide connectivity between say AVR - TV, AVR- BD player, BD player-TV etc. This is just so people won't have to run an additional CAT5e/6 cable alongside the HDMI cable.

You would still need to have a standard RJ45 network jack to connect the AVR or BD player to your network. They would have come out with HDMI network switches (the fiasco that would be!) and even then you would still need it to use the standard RJ45 connection at some point. To my knowledge there are no routers, hubs, modems etc that have HDMI 1.4 ports.

Either way, I sure as heck am not going to replace my whole Gbt network with new hardware AND outrageously priced cables that I can't make myself.

The other problem is that according to HDMI.org HDMI 1.4 will only be able to do 100 Mbt speeds, not Gbt...

HDMI.org

Edited by Beemer533 (03/15/10 11:56 AM)