Quote:
A specific feature I would like to see included is some sort of embedded Linux system with a removable SD chip (full/mini/micro - I don't care) that drives a lot of the functionality through software. In conjunction with network connectivity and software/firmware refreshes, this seems like an excellent and relatively low-cost way to gain significant flexibility and future proofing for the entire system. The removable SD memory chip for memory would allow Outlaw to offer additional features in the future that were not possible with the memory the unit shipped with (e.g. the equalization feature not available on the 990).

Additionally, I would love to see two rear panel USB ports and possibly an eSATA connection.

This all sounds really cool, but I still think (at least from where I sit) that it belongs in a separate chassis. Here's why:

Quote:
I really don't want to have to keep buying separate devices that significantly duplicate the functionality that IMO should be built in the processor portion of a pre/pro. That just adds to the overall cost of the system and provides little or no benefit. This would enable us to buy devices like the Oppo BDP-80 as opposed the BDP-83 or SE.

Adding all of this functionality to a surround processor is adding cost to it. Embedded Linux system? That's basically a hacked-down PC that's tucked in there alongside the existing (non-Linux) audio and video processing. It's going to add a non-trivial cost to the Model 998 that many users don't want to spend. It also means that you are locked into whatever architecture and support the Model 998 is able to provide, and to upgrade it you'd need to either replace the whole thing or buy a standalone media client. If you want to have a single really good analog section, that shouldn't be a problem - the 998 can provide that for any media client with coaxial, optical, or HDMI output. Having it in a separate chassis lets people pick the product that they want and suits their needs.