Originally Posted By: gonk
Do you want it in the pre/pro (which may or may not already have a use for a network connection)? Or do you want it in the Blu-ray player, which because of BD-Live has a legitimate "need" for a network connection? I ask because I've been watching the tremendous debate surrounding and pressure regarding inclusion of network streaming capabilities in BD players since last year. We've been talking off and on for a few years now about a pre/pro as a media client, but in the last year the emphasis on these sorts of features in Blu-ray players has picked up a ton. Personally, I think that we're shoe-horning unnecessary functionality into the device either way, but if we've got the shoe-horn out, I wonder if the attention makes more sense aimed at a BD player?

I fall in the camp of wanting the connectivity in the unit itself. After having purchased one Squeezebox, I really don't want to have to buy another to extend the functionality, especially when the new owner Logitech keeps reducing the quality of the DACs. Having some sort of embedded Linux system (in conjunction with network connectivity and firmware refreshes) seems like an excellent way to gain significant flexibility and future proofing for the entire system. After all, its not like Oppo has added the capability to use Netflix to its BD-83.

Edited by 73Bruin (03/14/10 11:40 AM)
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra