Originally Posted By: gonk
You may be talking about network support. There's no mention of network connectivity, but even if it's not present that's a philosophical debate. We see folks wanting this sort of support in Blu-ray players and surround receivers. We even see it in HDTV's. Do we really want to own three or four different devices that can all access a DLNA server? Onkyo's been adhering to a "kitchen sink" approach to receiver design for several years now - if they see a feature that they might be able to shoe-horn in there, they add it. They're a bit obsessive that way. That doesn't mean every manufacturer should follow the same formula. Personally, I think that it starts to forget one of the benefits of separates. If I want a good network media appliance, I can get a separate unit - just like I already do for a Blu-ray player, cable/satellite box, and game console.

I hear you and understand. That said, the future clearly indicates that with the increasing penetration of broadband and with TB disks selling for well under $100.00, the need to buy physical media is becoming unnecessary. Already, with the advent of iPods and MP3 players, more and more people purchase music via the internet. Movies are going the same route, although more slowly given the much larger sizes of DVD's. Also, the pre-pro is the "center" of most a/v systems. Could I invest in another media device to handle the DLNA streams? Yes, but that's one more device I have to have in my a/v system, one more device to remote control, etc. I'd much rather have the pre-pro be able to stream media, especially music. Again, just my .02! smile

HitchHiker