Originally Posted By: gonk
Originally Posted By: ljpchp
I read the specs on the 998 and they already look behind and do you belive the end of 2010 delivery date. I doubt it.

I'm curious what you see in the specs that already looks behind. HDMI v1.4a was published last month. Trinnov is still new tech for the consumer market. PLIIz has been available for maybe a little over six months or so (don't recall a specific date).

You may be talking about network support. There's no mention of network connectivity, but even if it's not present that's a philosophical debate. We see folks wanting this sort of support in Blu-ray players and surround receivers. We even see it in HDTV's. Do we really want to own three or four different devices that can all access a DLNA server? Onkyo's been adhering to a "kitchen sink" approach to receiver design for several years now - if they see a feature that they might be able to shoe-horn in there, they add it. They're a bit obsessive that way. That doesn't mean every manufacturer should follow the same formula. Personally, I think that it starts to forget one of the benefits of separates. If I want a good network media appliance, I can get a separate unit - just like I already do for a Blu-ray player, cable/satellite box, and game console.

I've done firmware updates via network and USB. Both have their advantages. Some folks actually prefer the USB approach, as it tends to be faster and you have less chance of a power outage bricking the unit. USB also avoids the conundrum many folks still face of how to get a network connection at their equipment rack. From that standpoint, USB is easier to support. I'm equally content to do either.

I've been quietly following the 972/997 for a while. I was starting to look at separates right around the 997 being announced; after seeing the issues over the last few months with the 972, I can't say I'm surprised by the cancellation. Personally I think it is a good move.

As far as network connectivity, the idea of having an AVR or AVP that can stream media from a server is a nice option for those that don't want another device. For me though, i already have a dedicated PC for this job.

What I do want a network connection for (besides updates) is control; I'm in the process of switching over to iRule with an ipod touch for my HT remote. Being able to control equipment via LAN is pretty cool; no IR extenders or anything, just wifi and a lan cable and you are good to go. If Outlaw implements network control that would be the best use of LAN IMHO.

Either way, I'm looking forward to the 998!