Originally Posted By: rubbersoul

Perhaps Outlaw wanted to make this move some time ago and for legal reasons was holding back and was patiently waiting for the time to pitch their ball.

Originally Posted By: tkntz

We don't know when the decision was made, nor do we know when they were allowed to make an announcement. They had a contract with Inkel. None of us know if the contract allowed them an out at any time and none of us know if they were contractually bound by a non-disclosure agreement.

I am confident that rubbersoul and tkntz are on target here. I was up all last night working so the e-mail notice from Outlaw popped up, and I was too punch drunk to do anything but post the news and get back to work.

Having some rest and the time to think about a couple of conversations I have had with Scott in the past 18 months, it was clear he was frustrated, but also very upbeat about some of the technologies employed in the 997 and other products he indicated I might like to see (but could not talk about).

The fact that ...

1) so many of the technologies that would have been part of the Model 997 are adapted or improved in the Model 998 and,

2) there are significant design elements completed with prototype parts already coming this month and,

3) the price point and promotional pricing of the Model 998 will be essentially the same as the aborted Model 997 ...

... would support the belief that Outlaw has been planning this move for a long time. The nature of partnerships is always tricky when the expectations of joint ventures are not met, and this is clearly an extreme example.

It is likely that Outlaw would expose itself to contractual liabilities if it abandoned it's business partners without a significant effort to maintain the best economic outcome for all, even if this meant limiting losses instead of realizing profits. Of course, contracts between partners often have performance clauses that give each party the right to terminate the agreement, but these can be subordinate to other concerns which involve other agreements and relationships outside the direct umbrella of a joint venture such as the Model 997.

The success of a relatively small company like Outlaw depends heavily on trust. Outlaw customers are certainly of great importance, but the business integrity of Outlaw with it's industry partners is also vital to it's future success. As I understand, the Outlaws are a gang that has professional experience and continuing business interests in independently active companies. This has been a great asset, and the integrated industry required to bring complex products to market is something they clearly understand. That being said, invention and economics do not exist in a perfect world, and there are always risks, some of which are almost impossible to anticipate.

I have every confidence that the Outlaws have always had our interests at heart. But I am also sure they must have struggled to complete and maintain business obligations that have precluded them from communicating to us the messy details of a venture that ultimately failed. In a company that has been a champion of transparency, this must have been very difficult for the Outlaws to accept.

And finally ... to all those who have been so eager to denigrate the Outlaws, while crowing about how flawless and sonically pure their HT systems are ...
GREAT FOR YOU. But understand, there many of us who own Outlaw equipment that are very serious about quality and value too. And we have made repeated investments in this company because it has been such a uniquely pleasurable experience.

In fact, the Outlaws only design equipment that they themselves would put in their own homes and studios. So it is not hard to say the Outlaws have well understood their customer.

Thank you to all those who have supported this forum, and the exchange of valuable information.

Allan