Originally Posted By: Brandon B
Originally Posted By: mdrconsult
If I understand the manual correctly both "Pure Audio" and "Direct" modes will not apply any processing to the incoming analog audio signal. Therefore, any room correction will have to be done by my BDP-83 prior to sending it out the analog outputs. Is that correct? If so, could I just use all the information that 886 room correction process measured, i.e. speaker distances and db levels?

The "no processing at all" is a bit misleading. The Onkyo does still adjust speaker levels and distances, even in Pure Audio mode. Or I would be hosed, as I have about 10X the amplifier power running my L&R mains as my side surrounds.

I am still not sure if I have a definitive answer. Based on your comments it sounds as if the 886 (similar to what the 990 did) does ADC then does DSP to adjust levels and distances (and possibly other processing as well such as bass management) and then does DAC for output to the amps. If this is the case then I suspect my BDP-83 setup would be the same as the 990. However, if it really is just a pass through to its analog output stages then I believe I would have to input all the distances and trim levels at the BDP-83. I can not find anywhere in either the Onkyo or Outlaw version of the manual that gives a clear answer to this.

Anyone else out there with an 886 and a BDP-83 using the multi-channel analog inputs? If so, how are you doing your setup? And do you find it to be an improvement over using HDMI for for High resolution audio like SACD?
Emotiva XMC-1, Outlaw 7500, Sonus Faber Olympica III Fronts, SF Liuto Center, SF Surrounds, LFM-1 EX, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV (Gen. 4), Mitsubishi 65" Diamond DLP, Outlaw Cables, PS Audio Power Quintet, Duet and power cords.