Originally Posted By: neekos
Hi guys, I've been following this 997 story for quite a while and as a prior Outlaw owner, I can't understand what Outlaw is thinking with this silence? It's obvious that the 997 has hit a brick wall, but come out and say so...

I know that my curiosity would enjoy an update and I'm sure Outlaw would like to drop in here and offer some kind of news for us all, but based on what I've seen in the R-972 thread at AVS there are some bugs under the hood that simply wouldn't pass muster with the Outlaws. In light of the delays and ongoing problems Sherwood has had so far with the R-972, Outlaw may be unwilling to commit to anything until they have debugged firmware in hand. Considering the way the R-972 thread has evolved at AVS, I'd certainly feel that way.
Originally Posted By: neekos
The Emotiva UMC-1 has been out for a few months now and they are working on getting the bugs out. I've heard it and it sounds fantastic. They at least tell their customers what the status is and what they are doing to address the issues. Outlaw better follow suit.

The UMC-1 may not be the best role model for product development and release. Emotiva talked a lot about the UMC-1 for the two years that it was in development, including a string of promised release dates that were missed. They promised a stable product at launch, even going so far as to refer to a pre-production sample they had in early December as being operationally "perfect." They have upset a whole lot of customers over the UMC-1, which (roughly two months after its release) is still considered by some to be at a "beta" level of development.

This process is a weird juggling act. I don't know what the right answer is, in part because I don't know what the actual state of development is, but I know it's a difficult process to manage.

Edited by gonk (03/06/10 05:08 PM)