I have read on this forum and on Facebook about some very unhappy campers concerning Outlaw Audio. Mostly about the ghostly 997.
I myself thought that Outlaw let the cat out of the bag about the 997 way to soon not realizing the negative impact the publicity or lack of...concerning the 997 would have on the company.
No-bodies perfect.
As I stated in an earlier post I have owned the 990/7700 combo since 2002 with no problems. I have not done the latest upgrade but I am currently using the DVI inputs for my projector without a hitch even though I had to update the firmware in my Infocus 7205 to utilize the DVI.

I too was very excited about a newer processor from Outlaw, reasonably priced with an automatic $200.00 discount since I am a current owner of a 990.
The 997 was just about off the drawing board when all of the hype was flying around on this forum.
I think a BIG mistake for Outlaw...and shame on Sherwood a company that Outlaw might reconsider.

I think that for all of us owners of the 990 patience will reap rewards.
Also I am enjoying what I have (990) an I am rethinking whether or not to buy the 997 whenever it comes out.
The 990 has given me eight years of enjoyment and continues to do so.
The 997 is not a priority but Outlaws message statement to me is what really counts.
B&W 803D2’s HTM3S DS7's
HSU Subwoofer
Mitsubishi 6800 Projector
Da-Lite Screen,
Oppo BDP93
Comcast
PS Audio DSD
Stack Variac
Kill-O-Watt
Nakamichi cables Audio 8 cables
Air-Server
Mac-Mini