Originally Posted By: Ed Hall
I purchased the second to the last pair of ESS AMT1-D speakers from ESS last February. When played them they rattled, I found out later that the dust covers were falling off. I contacted ESS and they sent an old used 12", I called and said I needed a "new" replacement speaker. They said they would send one out, that was months ago, I still have not received anything but BS from them. Now their website is gone and all I have is a phone number and BS. Pretty shameful way to treat their customers. All the speakers must be in Germany by now. They say they will send me new speakers but nothing is ever sent. Nice speakers but now I have to replace both woofers.

Ed

That's terrible. I realize that internal strife got the better of the company but that's no way to treat a slender customer base involved with such a unique driver.

I too was in the position to acquire a pair of the AMT-1D speakers and lo and behold i found the same issues with cabinet construction. The joinery was lousy between the 2 halves, bottom and top. The one cabinet actually separated from itself and i was forced to become a carpenter or better suited to this problem, a furniture repair person. The woofers had also the dustcaps falling apart but even more of an issue was the inner suspension de-laminating from the woofer baskets. The tweeters sounded fine except that i noticed the cheaper avenue of sound by using a diaphragm with fewer traces of signal path and fewer pleats than previous AMT speakers i've owned. I spoke with the new ESS company last year to find they use the same cheap diaphragms and are being sold now with those "lessened" signal traces.

Shame on them altogether, i love my Heil speakers. I hope things worked on your end but i'm not buying anything but the older researched AMT's anymore.