I do not own the 970 so I will not comment on the pro's or con's of this receiver. However I have purchased the 990/7700 combo and I am extremely happy.
A lot of my friends who are Home Theater enthusiasts and had spent twice or three times what I paid for my pre/pro were very impressed with the 990's ability to bring the surround sound format in home theater as well as many genre of music .

As many of you know, this model, while it did provide considerable "bang-for-the-buck" it was sold (and continues to be sold) defective. Outlaw sold this product knowing that many units were defective with the "no-audio" bug --- among other glitches.

I cannot believe this statement that OUTLAW knowingly sells defective products. Statements can be easily be made...but what about proof.
How many of the 970's have been defective? How many defective 970's have been shipped by Outlaw knowing that they are defective? More important how many 970's have been returned by customer's who requested their money back?
Finally, where are all the complaints on this forum to back the statement up that Outlaw knowingly sells defective products?

This is not meant to 'throw Outlaw under the bus', rather, I think a healthily conversation about their past behavior should be conducted while many wait to drop $1,400 on another Outlaw pre/pro...

You just did throw Outlaw under the bus by making such a broad statement of irresponsibility by a company who has one of the BEST records of customer satisfaction.
I have met Peter Tribeman and Scott and can say that both men are honest,helpful and take pride in what they do for Outlaw. They not only earn there livelihood from Outlaw but want there customers to have the best Home Theater products that give the best bang for the buck with the satisfaction that the customer owns a premium quality piece of equipment!

Maybe ready504 "You Can't Get No Satisfaction".
B&W 803D2’s HTM3S DS7's
HSU Subwoofer
Mitsubishi 6800 Projector
Da-Lite Screen,
Oppo BDP93
Comcast
PS Audio DSD
Stack Variac
Kill-O-Watt
Nakamichi cables Audio 8 cables
Air-Server
Mac-Mini