Hi Gonk,

I understand your points and agree with your analysis. One thing to keep in mind is that I don't believe this 3D tech is going to be forced on anyone anytime soon. It will be a long time before another change of broadcast TV standards occurs, whether it is HDTV to super HDTV or HDTV to 3D. And the movies will continue to be sold in DVD and blu-ray non-3D HD formats for a very long time. Adding 3D capability to a system will be an option for people to purchase if they want it or ignore it if they don't.

The newer hardware will eventually all include the 3D features at basically no added cost, but the old equipment will still work fine. And non-3D versions of equipment will continue to be sold until the 3D features don't add cost.

It's a self-imposed desire to have the latest and greatest and be dissatisfied if our gear is missing some new feature that often drives us to upgrade. But anyone who chooses to be an early adopter should do so knowing that it comes at a price! Expensive, buggy, frequent obsolescence, incompatibilities, etc. etc. Most have us have done it and suffered the consequences. Caveat emptor! Right?

So those of you who wish to wait until 3D tech proves itself as worthwhile or until the tech matures, more power to you. But it isn't a bad thing for the manufacturers to create the technology and make it available on the marketplace. I agree that they are trying to rush 3D to avoid the inevitable collapse in AV sales once the mainstream users have all bought their HDTVs, blurays, and enhanced sound systems, and the market returns to a more normal replacement cycle of ~10 years per device. I'd try the same thing if I were in their situation.

I'll buy 3D once it seems like the glitches are worked out. I used to be first in line but I don't have enough patience anymore for the bugs! So now I try to follow close behind watching for when the prices start to fall and issues are resolved. The sooner they sell the first generation of sketchy equipment to the first round of buyers, the sooner I'll be able to buy the third generation that actually works well!