I was discussing this matter with some people recently and something occurred to me. What we are seeing in the BDP-83 and BD-30 is really two loosely related aspects of the industry. One is the common practice of companies using the same basic platform for different products, with or without changes. (Example of this with substantive changes: the Model 990 uses the R-965 platform but adds XLR outputs, DVI switching, and significantly different firmware that altered the interface, bass management, and a number of other differences.) The other (which both hurts Lexicon and compliments OPPO) is the distribution channel.

When the first batch of BDP-83 beta samples shipped to testers in the fall of 2008, many of us (myself included) guessed that it would sell for $600 to $700. There was some sadness in that - it was a much higher price point than previous offerings - but the total package seemed to deserve it even when you avoid dealer networks. OPPO didn't decide for certain on $500 ($580 with rs232 port) until almost the last minute. I still think it would be a good value at $600. On the other end of the scale, you have Lexicon. They don't have the R&D costs to recoup, they appear to be offering no performance benefits except for perhaps a quieter drive, they are already behind on firmware, and yet they set a list price of $3500. Some of that is due to the demands of a dealer network: guys with rent, utilities, and payroll to meet who want to make a decent profit on each unit even if they offer the buyer a "deal" at some lower price. Some of it is padding for Lexicon's bottom line. If Lexicon were aggressive about hitting a "low" list price for the BD-30, it would probably still be priced around $1200 or $1500. At that price, you get two things for the extra money: a fancier faceplate and a local dealer. The extra $2000 is just a "sucker" tax on top of the previous extra.