Originally Posted By: dgilley
Jeash, you guys are funny dissing on the idea of 3D TV at home as worthless, or even worse than worthless. I think that's like someone 50 years ago complaining about color TV being a waste of money and a scam by companies to sell new TVs when everyone already had a perfectly good 20" black and white TV.

I think one reason that many of us have reacted negatively to 3DTV is upgrade fatigue (I think someone tossed that term out recently and I really liked it). Less than 12 months ago, HDTV became the standard and analog went away - a process that caused many people to feel almost forced to upgrade otherwise functional analog TV's. In the last decade we have seen HDTV, followed by the addition of DVI or HDMI (which has led to the "obsolescence" of many early, very expensive HDTV's and projectors), Blu-ray, and a total of five different HDMI standards. Now - seven months past the digital change-over and a couple of years into the biggest economic downturn we've seen in a while - they're trying to launch a new standard that has a high likelihood of being obsolete within a few years (when solutions that provide 3D without glasses mature enough to reach the marketplace). And to enjoy that new standard, we need a new TV and a new Blu-ray player. Personally, I'm unimpressed.

3D TV will eventually be a big deal.

I agree. The time will come. I just feel like manufacturers are pushing it on us prematurely, just like they have done with several versions of HDMI and Blu-ray/HD-DVD.

But people are not going to want to wear annoying glasses except when they are seriously focused on watching a movie or playing video games. The real key tech that needs more work are the screens that through some magic use a slotted lensing system on the front of the screen to produce 3D without glasses. It sounds like that tech is feasible, and if it could be produced, I believe it will eventually make 3D screens a part of our lives everywhere (computers, TVs, phones, everything).

Bingo. From what I read of the CES coverage, several different technologies are well along in the development process that will offer this ability. That's why I worry that these glasses-based system (active shutter, etc) are being pushed out to market to make a quick buck while the options that are more viable in the long term develop.

This is good technology! And the companies that bring it to us deserve to be rewarded.

The old saying about building a better mouse trap still holds true. I just don't feel like getting sold the prototype and getting my finger caught in it while the truly better one gets made... wink