Quote:
Originally posted by curegeorg:
to know your limitations is vital, and no one knows it all. when all you have to go on is specs, then what do you propose jt?

Uh, get off your tail and go listen to it? If that's not possible then check out reviews. Find reviews where they use the same conditions for each sub/speaker so that the comparisons are more valid. Should do both, really. If you don't have the information you need, then don't make a decision. It's that simple.

Quote:
the only reason the velodyne tied is because i know how they sound, thats not specs or speculation. specs dont ever say it all or how something will sound, however they can narrow down the choices. i.e. you want component video inputs, you want 15 digital audio inputs, you need 12 volt triggers, you want a sub with over 1000watts rms, etc. if some product doesnt meet a SPEC (spec includes features) you are looking for, then its important to look at. if some amp has 95% thd, then its safe to say its unsuited for audio... people come to these sites for links to info, and to get info from people who have used/know what they are talking about. what kind of sub do you have jt? what have you had?

You can not make educated guesses if you don't have the right info. People who think they can are just kidding themselves. We're talking about subs, so I don't think component inputs is a very important feature here. Features are very nice, but sometimes people forget that they're buying the product for the sound. You can look at features all you want, but they won't tell you how it sounds.

I'm just using the subs built into my main speakers for now, Mirage OH-5's. I've also used the Klipsch 5.1 computer setup. That's all for HT. I have demoes some others, but I'm doing fine with what I have right now. As for cars, I've used Infinity Kappa Perfects and a JBL WGTi.

[This message has been edited by JT Clark (edited May 26, 2004).]