Originally Posted By: gonk
There has been a bit of chatter about high-end clones of the BDP-83 ever since at least CEDIA last September. One of the first to market has been the Lexicon BD-30, which lists for $3,500. Theta has a clone coming, as well, and there's at least one other that I'm forgetting. The internal pictures of the BD-30 at CEDIA had some rather substantial similarities - at least from a distance - to the BDP-83's internals, but Lexicon said that they had made refinements. There are now two reviews of the BD-30 online, and they make for interesting reading.

First is a review Home Theater Review that was posted on 1/11, which briefly compares the build quality of the BD-30 to that of the BDP-83SE but then doesn't say much more. All in all, it felt a bit sketchy as far as comparisons went and the reviewer had no prior experience with the 83. I'd be curious to have read a comparison of the analog sections, especially considering the next review.

The second review was posted this afternoon by Audioholics. I don't read many of their reviews, but this one caught my attention. It's not so much a review as an electronics autopsy comparing the BD-30 to a stock BDP-83 (not the more expensive SE).

I saw the audioholics review. Hehehe....not only are the Lexicon and Oppo units "similar," but it appears that Lexicon merely built an enclosure AROUND a stock Oppo chassis and otherwise didn't change a thing (not even the power supply)...for a $3000 mark-up. LOL

You don't get much more busted than this. The funniest thing is that Lexicon paid for THX certification (which the unit seems to fail due to bass management issues). smile

And lastly, here's a reviewer praising the Lexicon as being so much better than the Oppo unit. hahahahaha

http://hometheaterreview.com/lexicon-bd-30-universal-blu-ray-player-reviewed/