Quote:
Originally posted by curegeorg:
So for comparison sake I'll use the DSL-4000 (yes i said dsl-3750 above, buy i want to compare 12" vs 12", outlaw=o, velodyne=v)

Driver Type: (o)Down Firing, 12" Long-throw Woofer;(v) 12" forward firing 9.9" piston diameter with vented pole piece. Advantage:velodyne, front is better

Ports: (o)Dual;(v)Extended Excursion Slot-Loaded Bass-Reflex
Advantage:tie, bass-reflex and dual are not so hot

Amplifier Power Rating: (o)325WRMS; 1300W peak;(v)200,400.
Advantage n specs alone, outlaw, however power rating is misleading, because the application and quality of the power are integral to its usefullness. so most people say lfm-1 is good, so ill go with them.

Frequency Response: (o)25Hz. -180Hz. +/- 2 dB;(v)25-120Hz +/-3 dB
Advantage:tie

Weight: (o)58 lbs;(v) 63 lbs
Advantage: more weight tends to make one think better build quality, larger components, better heat dissipation, but ill rate them even, so tie.

It is tought to say between those two, on specs. I may say Outlaw, however if you compared them side by side I would say tie, with my taste telling me Velodyne. However the SPL would crush those two, and is my recommendation for lower cost subwoofer. If you cheap out on the sub, you will always regret it.

To that person who said Hsu, yes they make ok subs, but only once you get into the tubular series (which is more $). Who really wants a tubular sub? The sonics of a tube may be great if you engineer it well enough, but ill stick with my driver firing to the front and cabinet normal. I think tube, I think bazooka, and when I think bazooka I think weapon not audio.

[This message has been edited by curegeorg (edited May 21, 2004).]

Sorry I couldn't just let this one go, but I don't see anything here that would actually tell me which one will sound better. More explanation?