If you haven't done so already, I'd suggest doing some demoing of TV's. I've got a co-worker who has been agonizing over a new TV purchase for close to a year (he almost pulled the trigger after a nasty wind storm last summer that took out his power for a week and caused the audio in his Sony to freak out for a while). He started out wanting plasma, but not surprisingly abandoned that. He's been comparing CRT, LCD, and DLP rear projection for at least six months, and he's about ready to pick up a Samsung DLP. Get a look first-hand at DLP, LCD, and CRT RPTV's. See if the rainbow effect bugs you (some people never notice it, while for others it seems to claw at their eyes from across the room). Check out some of the CRT RPTV's like Toshiba and Mitsu - well-established technology, although there can be trade-offs (poorer off-axis viewing comes to mind).

The current state of TV tech can be a real headache. LCD and DLP rear projection are both fairly young and growing at a startling rate, with associated growing pains. Plasma and LCD flat panels each offer benefits, drawbacks, and sticker shock. Direct view has even had trouble moving into HD resolutions (although so far I'm really pleased with my 32" HD tube). You've got time to scope out all the options and wait for the newer models (seven-segment color wheels on DLP, newer chips, ...).

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links