Quote:
1) I have a sony 400 disc jukebox DVD player hooked up to the 886 via HDMI and the 5.1 analogue connections for the SACDs I have in the player. How can I set the 886 menu to accept the analog audio (thru the 5.1 inputs) for SACDs and HDMI for DVD from this one DVD palyer?
See page 20 of Outlaw's guide. The setting is discussed there. You will assign the 7.1 analog input to the same input that your DVD changer is using and then use the AUDIO SEL button to toggle between digital and analog input for that source. If it's an SACD player with HDMI output, though, shouldn't the HDMI connection carry either PCM or DSD?
Quote:
2) I am about to get a new PS3 slim. What should I set the audio output (HDMI cable to the 886) on the PS3 so the 886 decodes the DTS MA and HD Dolby soundtracks? Plain "Bitstream"?
I don't keep close track of the PS3's settings (they're a bit odd, I don't have one, and last time I looked you couldn't just simply download a user manual - you had to navigate their silly web site each time you wanted to look something up), but "bitstream" should be what you want to allow the 886 to decode. I'll say that where you decode TrueHD and DTS-HD MA to multichannel PCM is not terribly critical - as I've mentioned somewhere else recently, even with my 885 I've got my BDP-83 outputting multichannel PCM at the moment.