XenonMan,

I guess I don't share your world view nor your fatalistic approach vis-a-vis China. I see them as a huge threat on several levels: environmentally, economically, politically, and militarily. The consumer has made them what they are; the consumer can undo the damage he or she has done.

og33,

Recognizing that THE threat is China, my approach is quite simple: buy anywhere but from China. It has nothing to do with made-in-America (or Canada in my case) but simply not-made-in-China. Tackle the greatest threat now; worry about the others later. It also has nothing to do with quality - real or perceived. Western companies have effectively transferred (willingly or unwillingly) most, if not all, of their manufacturing prowess to the Chinese. There is no quality gap; in fact in some sectors (not pet food, canned milk, or children's jewelry - to name a few) it's quite the opposite.

I am encouraged by the number of people that I run into who at least claim that they try to avoid buying Chinese-made products. But avoidance is just the first step; the next is to tell companies why you are buying from them (in the case of non-Chinese products) in order to encourage them to continue doing so, and those companies why you are not (in the case of those who use China)to get them to change. I also disagree completely with XenonMan that such a move inevitably leads to increases in price and a decrease in quality.

Unlike some, I believe that grassroots consumerism can effect such a change. Not overnight (it would take a severe misstep by China to bring that on) but with time.