Quote:
will Outlaw offer any more mid-range priced equipment? I was really interested in the 1070 when it came out, but at a price of over $1000, I couldn't swing it. The thought of separates are intriguing and the amps seem to be a good value, but the Pre/Pro's started out around $1000 (if memory serves). I see I can get a 2 year old 970, but it still costs $700.
I thought the Model 1070 was $900, and the Model 970 started out at $700 but was down to $550 when they sold out. The 990 sells now for $700 (a big drop from the original $1100 price).

All that said, I do see your point. I think there is an opportunity for a product in the 970's niche. A sub-$600 receiver in today's market is probably not going to appeal to Outlaw: that area belongs to folks like Onkyo, and unlike ten years ago it is now a difficult market segment to innovate in or otherwise differentiate yourself. A $600 or $700 surround processor, though, is a market with less competition and probably more opportunity to succeed. We've also got to consider inflation - the $600 that the 1050 cost when it debuted nine or ten years ago would no longer be $600 today, between inflation and significant changes to cost of steel and copper.