In a message above Gonk wrote:
Quote:
That nifty multichannel analog input is hanging around just as a backup and will in most cases never be used because the sources that might be able to use such an input are now all equipped with HDMI - and most have analog sections that are not as good as the analog section in our processor, which reinforces the decision to take the easy way out and use HDMI.
Actually (though I may be one of few) I use the 7.1 directs for several multi-channel analog formats including the analog of decoded dts CDs, redirecting to a 4-ch array, and multi-channel hard-drive material. So I hope Outlaw will continue the 7.1 analog in's.

While I'll not speculate or argue about whose analog section is better than whose, I will tell you fellow outlaws that not having a 997 (though I want one)is not a problem, since I am delighted with the audio from Oppo BDP83 analog outs into the 7.1 of my 990. Movies and SACD sound fabulous via analog.

I'm not saying it's better than thru HDMI (and I don't mind the cables). Yes, I'll get a 997. I'll hope that Trinnov is as good as it's purported to be (probably is). Though my primary use for a pre-pro is for music, I'm sure I'll enjoy the new codecs for movies. My XYL's use is mostly movies. Discriminating friends tell me the codecs are fantatic. OK. I'll bite. But I'll wait for the 997, since my 990 sounds great. Thanks outlaw. smile
Millenium dts decoder;Digital Director
Players: Tascam CD01U/SonyCX455 x 3/DV955/BDP83
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV
Zone 2 (also liv-Room: listening to music while Mrs watches TV): Crown SL2 preamp/D40 Amp/Stax Headphones

My "Man-cave":
4 channel-only inline room. No TV (thank heaven)!!!
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Tascam CD01U/dts decoder/digital director
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer
Recorders Alesis HD24/ML9600/Crown CX844s/SonyDAT/Tascam DA38
Ham Radio Shack (KB1STH) ICOM/Yaesu/Drakes x 3