I think that some mods can help - the BDP-83's analog section is a very good value already (and I mean very good), but there's always room for refinement. I'm less convinced about master clock or power supply changes, and I'm really dubious of the value of slapping balanced outputs onto the player. (Aside from questioning the practical value, I also wonder where on earth they'd put a bank of eight XLR's and how you'd actually be able to integrate it into a system.) Any of these changes are offering "diminishing returns" sort of improvements. I wouldn't expect "night and day" sort of changes. Technically, you're going to also void your warranty once you have a modder start making these sorts of large-scale questions. OPPO is pretty cooperative in these sorts of matters - I traded posts with a guy in Australia who had a modded player that arrived from the modder with a bad optical drive, and based on an email exchange diagnosis OPPO shipped him a new drive for free so he could swap it out himself - but it does make things more complicated.