Hello everyone. I have an onkyo tx-ds797( no hdmi), outlaw 7500,sony bdp-s550, velodyne sms1 and for speakers polks rt2000(l/r) dcm(ctr) polks rt600I(s/r-s/l) and lfm-1ex(sub). My avr has 5.1 multi-channel inputs so decided to take advantage of the new formats that blue rays have.

I have the coax and multi-channels 5.1 from the s550 to the avr connected. When playing blue ray movies like iron man, transformers, x-men etc, its seems when using the muti-channel set up to get the lossless sounds dolby true hd and dts hd that they are not as loud, clean or dynamic as using the coax set up with d/d and dts with the same blue ray movie. So i thought that i was doing some thing wrong because most remaks are positive when dealing with multi-channel 5.1 set up for the dt/hd and dts/hd. I took the sound level meter and compared the avr levels with the s550 levels(multi-channel set up) and they are very close. When watching a blue ray movie the difference is 10db between multi-channel and dd/dts which thats ok but when I turn the avr 10db for multi-channel set up its does not sound as good,clean and dynamic as using coax set up with dd/dts formats.

So I'm wondering if other people are getting same results or is it that my avr does a good job with dd/dts. My concern is that after reading an article on HE where they talk about how small the difference between dt hd,dts hd and uncompressed pcm was, that got me wondering. When i get the 997 and play the new formats will it sound like the results I'm getting with my multi-channel set up since they are lossless audio?. Just wondering and I know no one has the 997 yet but may be those of you that have the new avrs that handle the new formats can share your thoughts. This is the article on HE. http://www.hedmag.com/node/Dolby_TrueHD_DTS-MA_versus_Uncompressed_PCM?page=0%2C1

Thanks ramon.