Quote:
I'm one of a number of folks around here who has already invested in separate amplification (a Model 7500 and two Model 200's), so staying with a processor is very appealing for me. And folks who are just starting can buy a 997 with an amp like the 7075, 7125, or 7700 and expect the amp to last for many years - meaning that when they get the itch to upgrade the processor in a few years, they can keep the amp and just buy a new processor.
Yup..power amps stay current far longer than items like surround processors. I invested in a batch of Threshold power amps years ago and they are still going strong. Their sound is still as good as it gets as well.

I'm trying to recall how many surround processors I have gone through in the last 25 years...everything from an advent soundspace control, to a yamaha dsp 1, a Lexicon CP3, a marantz 870 dolby digital thing, plus some HK signature 2.0's... Down to my current Outlaw 990 and Integra 9.9 I think I'm forgetting one or two in that list as well.

Power amp technology is fairly mature while a surround processor is basically a computer ..and we all know how quickly today's latest and greatest computer becomes outdated.
Emotiva XPA-1 (2), XPA-5
(2) Threshold S200's
Thiel 3.6 main speakers
(2)Velodyne F1500r subs
Polk RTI28 surrounds
B&W HTM center
OPPO BDP-83 universal player
Samsung HLT6187 led DLP