What I've read about Sherwood's receivers amps is pretty positive (particularly at the R-965/R-972 level in their product line), but a separate power amp like the 7075 still offers the opportunity to provide better sound quality - and unless you have speakers that need some power behind them, the 75+ watts of power from the 7075 may be more than you'll ever use anyway. Certainly a 997/7125 combo will cost more while offering similar power on paper, but the 7125 will likely beat the onboard amp section of just about any receiver's amps unless you get into the megabuck receivers (the ones that Denon, Yamaha, and Pioneer Elite charge $5k for). At least, I hope those receivers can match the 7125's sound quality...

Advantages of the 997 over the R-972 (based on limited information currently available):

• balanced pre-amp outputs
  • cost savings for someone who already owns separate amplification
  • different support channel (unless you have a good local dealer who will take care of you, Outlaw's structure will typically be better for us average joes)

I'm one of a number of folks around here who has already invested in separate amplification (a Model 7500 and two Model 200's), so staying with a processor is very appealing for me. And folks who are just starting can buy a 997 with an amp like the 7075, 7125, or 7700 and expect the amp to last for many years - meaning that when they get the itch to upgrade the processor in a few years, they can keep the amp and just buy a new processor.