I use two 15" passive subs in my room connected to a Samson S-1000 Amp. I changed the VC's from 8 Ohm to 4 Ohm to try and get a few more db out of them. This did give me a slight increase in output, but the amp runs hotter and the circuit breaker in the Panamax 5300 (surge protection) is more likely to trigger. I also have two Mesa/Boogie Strategy 400 amps, for the front and rear channels (old amps are better for old music), and have the capacity to run at either 4 or 8 Ohms. In fact there are multiple outputs for 4 or 8 Ohm devices, but I would never run multiple speakers from a single output. It is just too hard on the equipment and the gain is slight. Maybe I am looking at this from a tainted point of view. I guess if I had a room full of Bo*e speakers adding a couple per channel could possible help. (Sorry the Mean came out again)

The bottom line: Stick with your manufactures recommended values, which is most likely going to be 8 Ohms.

P.S. You can always add more speakers to your system by buying speakers with more drivers in them. You could build your own speakers and use active crossovers for each driver for greater flexibility.

------------------
MeanGene's Home

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s