Quote:
Originally posted by soundhound:
Passive subwoofers are actually very common and are what I use. Professional installations are more likely to have passive subwoofers than not, although active subs are more common in the consumer marketplace.

Professional installations like in a studio yeah maybe, but not a professional installation in your home. Very few people have passive subs in their home. I realize that their are applications of anything, however I tend to speak in terms of Home Audio/Theatre as that is what most people here are interested in. If you cant generalize, then you would never get anywhere by talking. There is always an exception... If passives were so great and common, why not dedicate part of receivers' amps to amplifying subs. Yes, I do realize this can be done with a pre/pro, but we're talking popularity here, i.e. what do most people have... Anyway, I know I am straying away from any sort of point; it is annoying, however, for someone always to specify some single condition where the one time something someone says cannot hold true. Its like someone saying he could never jump that high, and then someone saying if he was on the moon he could... Well, obviously that is true, we aren't on the moon here, nor are we in a professional studio.