I hope that PeterT who started this thread doesn't mind if I deviate a little (or a lot).

Current movies are so different in their format from the good oldies. For example now there's lots of overt sex, lots of violence...and special effects.

In some cases much of that is good. For example the thrillers and complex action plots.

What I and Mrs. nfaguys enjoy are lots of Turner Classic on the TCM channel on dishnetwork. Somehow the MGM musicals were magic !!!! OTOH Citizen Kane, Fountainhead etc (non-musicals) are great. I also like the Ingmar Bergman movies.

What I really go after are the movies, though sometimes kinda hokey with famous musical stars.
For example the first movie with Frank Sinatra was "Higher & Higher". Crummy plot but great music. ALso had Victor Borge, Mel Torme, Nancy Walker, Jack Haley...and this was like 1941. Also the Tommy Dorsey movie "DuBarry Was a Lady" with REd Skelton and Lucille Ball. Then, don;t forget the Glenn Miller movies-I mean the ones with Glenn and his orchestra: "Sun Valley Serenaded" and "Orchestra Wives", both of which were hard to get until Laserdiscs (remember them>) came out. Others that are great are "Man With the Golden Arm" (Frank Sinatra..and a cameo with Shorty Rogers and Shelly Manne). Then there's "Bell, Book and Candle" with Jimmy Stewart & Kim Novak. And for me there is a big plus: During the Nightclub scene (Zodiak) there's a sequence where Jack Lemmon plays bongos and the two trumpet players are Pete and Conte Candol. For me that's specia;. Sol I guess I look for the musical treasures in these old movies (and old TV shows).

Anyone not aware of the INTERNET MOVIE DATABASE should log onto www.imdb.com. Lots of interesting documentary information.

Thanks for the movie forum, PeterT.
Best wishes to Gonk for speedy recovery, while good listening.
Millenium dts decoder;Digital Director
Players: Tascam CD01U/SonyCX455 x 3/DV955/BDP83
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV
Zone 2 (also liv-Room: listening to music while Mrs watches TV): Crown SL2 preamp/D40 Amp/Stax Headphones

My "Man-cave":
4 channel-only inline room. No TV (thank heaven)!!!
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Tascam CD01U/dts decoder/digital director
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer
Recorders Alesis HD24/ML9600/Crown CX844s/SonyDAT/Tascam DA38
Ham Radio Shack (KB1STH) ICOM/Yaesu/Drakes x 3