Quote:
Originally posted by Viejo Loco:
SEAS makes good drivers as does Vifa and Scanspeak. All of those drivers can be bought in the same size as used in the Outlaws for less than $50.00 USD each from reputable and authorized sources. Unless Outlaw is designing their own cabinets and crossovers then why the high price? Keep in mind that I am extremely satisfied with my Outlaw Equipment.
It's worth pointing out that there are other pieces of the puzzle that could quickly contribute to a higher price. The cabinets very likely are being made specifically for Outlaw, as are the crossovers. The crossover is said to be using "audiophile grade" components - those pieces alone can get expensive. The boundary compensation stuff is also custom from what we've seen described so far. The tweeter is also not an off-the-shelf item based on the FAQ, which will again add some cost. Toss in the issue of manufacturing labor (assembled in the US, with a corresponding labor cost) and I'd suspect that the drivers end up being a smaller part of the cost than it might at first appear. As Svet pointed out earlier, there are a number of other companies making very good speakers with similar drivers - and at similar (or even higher) price tags.

I'm looking forward to some listener feedback on these, as that will be where the rubber really meets the road. I just have to keep my wife from seeing the pictures posted this weekend - it's been a couple years since the last pitched the idea of smaller front speakers, but she might find the idea of an Outlaw bookshelf a nice way to scale down our Paradigm towers...