Newbie here. I'm upgrading a rack-o-parasound gear from 1999 to a new Integra 9.8 (yes - actually have one!) and need to pair up am amp. I read the other posts from HTBloggingGuy (and others) re his noise issues with the 7700, and his option to stick with a B&K. I like the B & K too, but Edward almost has me convinced to get a 7700 (cheaper, even considering shipping to AK).

My internet research on amps, however, leaves me with a bunch of questions about amp classes. I've read the Wickapedia explaination of different amplifier classes (A, A/B, D, G, H). My basic understanding is that A and A/B "traditional" amps are not very efficient and run hot, but most forums (AVS, HTSpot, Polk, etc.) conclude they are pretty much the best preformers overall if you can handle the heat and the weight. Not sure I agree, but all I've every used is a Parasound HCA 806 class A/B six channel.

The "hybrid" designs, like the 7700, use different kinds of technology that I don't understand (something to do with rail switching and a bunch of microfarads), and I don't think I need to. I know there are some very bright electrical engineers on these posts who may be able to distill this into 5th grade english for us idiots.

Anyway, seems like most people are happy with the 7700, so I assume the hybrid amps perform well, but I'd still like to know if anyone has switched from a class A-A/B amp to a hybrid, and if they notice a difference.

Thanks for any info!