Quote:
Originally posted by BloggingITGuy:
When you talk about humming, is it coming from your speakers or are you talking about "mechanical" noise coming from the transformers on the 7500?
It's a bit of both for me, actually. I can hear a hum from the amp itself, which appears to be...well..."amplified" in my speakers. It's sometimes louder in one speaker and sometimes about the same level in all speakers. Once I solved the fluorescent bulb thing, it went down to a level I can ignore during music or movies, but it gives me a metaphorical and sometimes physical headache knowing it's there. During my troubleshooting, I noticed that the only time I don't hear the buzzing from the amp and speakers is when NONE of my other electronics on that circuit are plugged in (including the receiver) and the amp is plugged into my Panamax power conditioner. Plugged into the wall, I hear the hum. Plugged into an outlet on a different circuit, I hear the hum. Plugged back into the Panamax, hum goes away (makes me feel a bit better about dropping that money for the conditioner). But of course the very next thing to plug back in is the receiver, and the hum comes back, whether the receiver is plugged into the wall or the Panamax (although I haven't tried the amp and receiver on separate circuits).

Quote:
Also, sounds like the popping noise is junk that the receiver is sending to the amp through the preamp outs. That should go away depending on what prepro you go with. When I had a 990 it would do a popping noise everytime I switched audio modes.
My thoughts as well, but I was on a roll so I threw that question in there too. smile I'm hopeful that the pre/pro (Onkyo PR-SC885) won't exhibit these issues, but I probably won't get my hands on that until January.

Thanks for the feedback.
-Brad