Was not certain where to post this and this seems to be the most popular Amp forum.

In my post Katrina set up I do not currently have a dedicated subwoofer. Just a 5.none system. My uni room apt is about 8-9000 cubic feet (much bigger than most dens). Rather than buying a sub or subs and spending lots of money, could I use or modify existing equipment with good results?

I have an unused pair of Klipsch LaScala speakers and I can have 2 - 4 available (unused) channels from my Outlaw 750 Amp (165W/ch, X 5 channels).

Qs:
1. I think 165 W is not powerful enough to run any of the new commercially available subs on the market. LaScala's are very efficient speakers though, but is 165 W enough to run it as a sub? New subs are powered by 350-500-1000 W amps. Can I safely bridge or combine 2 channels off the 750 Amp to create a 330W Amp? If it is safe to do this exactly how do I connect the channels and output to the LaScala sub?

2. Can a Klipsch LaScala be used as a sub if I directly wire into the woofer and bypass the crossover network? Would the old Klipsch 12" driver be ok, or would I need to replace it with a "modern" dedicated 12-15 or 18" subwoofer driver? Would such new drivers require at least 330 W? Mind you, opening up a LaScala might require major surgery. But to save megabucks, I would do it.

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Brian
Tulane University
New Orleans

My rig:
26" 20 yr old Sony TV - even Katrina couldn't kill it!
Outlaw 990 pre/pro
Amps:
a. Outlaw 750 (165 W/ch x 5 channels) - but only 3 channels currently used, powers Klipsch Academy center channel speaker (c. 1992) and Klipsch Heresy's - surrounds c. 1980,
b. McIntosh MC-240, powers my Klipschorns c. 1980,
c. and an old stereo amp (2 channels work most days), which could be used for the Heresy's. (Thus I have 4 potential unused channels off the 750).
Klipsch LaScala speakers, currently not used, c. 1980.
Oppo 981 DVD
Old DVD player
Tascam tape decks and other donated tape decks
Old donated VCRs
Technics SL 1200 DJ type turntable with 2 different DJ cartridges (listening to Joao Gilberto Jazz records from 1963, with a 1965 tube amp, and 1980 king size speakers - priceless)