My pre is an Arcam AVP-700. It has a few control inputs and outputs for the 2nd zone and a couple of other control outputs for signal detection for video signal type when used in Europe. However, only the one is designed to be a 12V trigger for the amp.

I tried again today with a different cable; same result. However, today it didn't do it every time, only most times. Another funny thing is that even though the light goes from green to amber and you hear the click you normally hear when the unit powers up, the amp continues to provide sound through the speakers even though the unit is going through a power cycle.

Maybe stored energy?

I talked with Scott today and he recommended I try to ground the two together, but I had already done that. So he recommended I remove a little of the powder coating where the ground wire is and try it again.

I didn't do this, but I did losen the screw to where I could get clear access to the metal and it made no difference.

The hum is not very loud and you have to be close to the speakers with no noise to hear it, but it's certainly there. My Zu speakers are also have a high sensativity rating of 101dB @ 1W so any hum will be obvious where it might not be so apparant with a less sensative speakers. Who knows?

However, I must add that my other amps are dead quiet.

Of course Outlaw's customer service is outstanding as always and he wants to send me a new unit, so I have to decide if I'm willing to give this another run. But at this point I seriously doubt it. I'll probably just eat my losses and go another route.

Just really frustrated at this point and after reading some of the issues other have had my confidence is just now real high at this point.