Quote:
Originally posted by Smart Little Lena:
I need to try out the re-master setting on certain CD’s I purchase since I acquired the 91 to see if there are marked differences I can distinguish. Thanks for the reminder!

Dear SSL:

Regarding the lack of bass in Analog Bypass Mode... Please check to see that the RP91 speaker set-up menu has all speakers set to large. If not, you may not be sending the full range analog signal to the 950 inputs, and this could cause the drop in bass information in Analog Bypass Mode you described.

When the Outlaw 950 receives an upsampled (24bit/88MHz) PCM digital signal it is only able to process the signal in Digital Stereo Mode. Dolby, DTS and Cirrus Music Modes are not available. The Digital Stereo Mode does, however, allow BM for the two main channels.

For this reason, I prefer to set the Outlaw 950 to Analog Bypass Mode for music that does not benefit from any of the surround sound processing modes. The 950 Bypass Mode sends the full range signal to the Front Main channels. In my experience, the analog output of the RP91 in combination with the 950 in Analog Bypass Mode is excellent.

My particular set-up utilizes a sound processor, for the Front Main channels (for bass frequencies only), and therefore allows for BM in the Analog Bypass Mode. The Outlaw ICBM can also be used for this purpose.

For CD music that will benefit significantly from multi-channel sound processing, it is not possible to use the Remaster feature of the RP91. For these recordings, Remaster should be turned off, and the 950 can do its thing, in whatever digital mode works best.

I hope this is of some help. I believe your Vienna's are wonderful speakers that can give voice to the benefits of the RP91's upsampling capabilities.

Allan

[This message has been edited by AGAssarsson (edited June 30, 2003).]