Poor performance is subjective when you’re factoring tradeoffs. (dual Vs single HighR audio formats and video Vs audio preformance) The shootouts all involve video performance of the players (some might argue their main function)

And if that is your sole concern, you should separate your video performance from you audio player/s completely and get a Bravo DI player if you have a DVI LCD/plasma/DLP enabled display or FP. Then you can achieve what some reviewers have called “reference” quality video, for 200.00. This particular unit recommended only if you have a DVI connection as it eliminates all D/A video conversion if you do.

But when your factoring performance across the board, Last I was keeping track the Pioneer would beat the Panny in sound. (particularly in straight CD play) And I would not trade my RP91 for either one of them.

From reviews I’ve seen (and I have not kept track lately) If your looking for the pricebreaks of discontinued or end of cycle models. Choose the Pioneer if your emphasis is on audio and want a dual format player (SACD and DVD-A).Choose something like the 82 if your emphasis is on video. And only want to get a start in the HR formats (DVD-A).
And me I always have to be different when all three were currently available units. I chose the RP91 (DVD-A only) for a combo of factors, scaling for a 16.9 screen being my priority at the time.
Happy enough with its audio/ aging video performance not to be attracted (yet) to shopping later generation advancements.

I’m really not keeping track with the reviews on the current crop of dual HR formats models. I’m perfectly content to give them a little more time for further V and advancements and price drops occur.
What will drive you crazy during these purchases are the tradeoffs.
If my priority was the BEST A & V. I’d break up my purchases into single units. Possibly try the Bravo then shop for audio players separately.

When you factor convenience of the all in ones. There have been enough consumers of the Pioneer 45 (mutltifuntion) who have been extremely satisfied with its performance (including video)(some posts in this thread remark on their satisfaction).
I would think it should be a contender on your shopping list, -if what you really want is a universal player, And are trying not to break the bank with a latest model dual format purchase.