i currently use the denon 3805 with seperate amps. i got it before the 990 was available, but a processor with high quality electronics compared to another is hard to compare sound wise. on the order of importance for the sound, a processor is not at the top. speakers reproduce the sound and are the key to having a sound you like. a processor is judged differently. accuracy of reproduction, features, connections, formats, remote possibilities, etc. it would be nice to have xlr capability/flexibility, but i havent looked back for one second with the 3805. denon even gave me a free remote way out of warranty for the remote when mine had loss of light in the dvd control mode.

one big reason i was reluctant for seperates is because of upgrading, it is easier to resell a receiver than a processor. i felt i could get everything i needed and not lose much if i wanted a change. people who have processors are not typically going to plunk down a lot of cash on an older unit, because people who have processors are typically more critical listeners... im sure the 990 is nice though. speakers make the sound, and you cant ever forget that. trade all your gear out and you can get a 1% change, trade your speakers and you can get 99%.