JW, I also had some ?? on balanced inputs, audioholics did a review on the Halo A 51, the review started with rca inputs then with balanced cables after they received them. The reviewer was really surprised with bal inputs, and he credits the processor's technology... and wonders if processors that are doing a phase split would provide the same results.

My Qestion is how does a phase slpit effect balanced inputs and is the 990 phase split or not? Not seems better... or does the 990 handle balanced inputs as the Integra Research RDC-7? If so we might be in for a pleasent surprise!!

Here is some of his thoughts.

"With little prior experience with XLR connections, I doubted that I would be able to hear significant change or improvement, but I quickly found that I was dead wrong. When implementing the XLR balanced connections, it was instantly recognized by me and others around me that the sound quality and dynamics improved as the soundstage and tonal signature became more refined. The presence of the music also became more detailed as the bass tightened with significant authority, and most importantly to me, the sound stage elevated. The subtle differences noticed during unbalanced play between the Acurus and Parasound amplifiers suddenly became much more pronounced. It is important to note that the Halo amps were being fed by the Integra Research RDC-7. With other processors or receivers capable of only doing a phase split to give their balanced output the results might not be as impressive."
http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/ParasoundHaloAmps.html